Build Your Cyber Security Strategy on Password Day!Submitted by Washington Wealth Advisors | Falls Church and Ashburn, VA on April 27th, 2018
By Alexandra Devereaux
These days, cyber security is a top priority for everyone. Here at WWA, client security and privacy is a top priority for all of us. We strive to educate our clients to make sure they are protected as so much of what they do is done over the internet…from online transactions to sending their tax accountants data, to asking questions about their accounts. As a Client Relationship Manager here at WWA, I work with our clients and their data daily. I wanted to share some quick advice that will help keep you all safe.
Online Security Tips
- Use a secure email tool. Your information is compromised most frequently when you email sensitive information, like account numbers, social security numbers, and credit card information, without using a secure file sharing tool. When you send data to the WWA team make sure to either use our Secure Vault or click the line below our email signatures that says, ‘Click Here to Send me Files Securely.’
- Change your passwords every 90 days. And sooner (i.e. immediately!) should you suspect someone has gotten it! You should also use a different password for each website you access. This way if one of your passwords is stolen from one site, they cannot access information across the other sites you use. Once a hacker has your password, they go hunting! And, yes, you must devise a way to manage them all.
- Always use two factor authentication. This is an added layer of security to ensure you are the only person who can access your account, even if someone has your password.
- Do not use public Wi-Fi! Hackers love public Wi-Fi! When you use it you put your personal information and more at risk.
- Keep your software up to date on ALL devices. Install your patches! They are there to combat intruders.
- Phishing. Never open an email or an attachment from an unknown source. Fraudulent emails, texts, copycat website are all created to get you to click on them and share your information.
There are just a few tips!If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me via my email: email@example.com. My goal is to keep you educated and safe!
About Washington Wealth Advisors
Washington Wealth Advisors is an independent registered investment advisory firm serving high net worth families and small businesses. We focus on holistic financial planning and comprehensive investment management. Leveraging our core strengths of unbiased, active investment management together with a detailed annual financial planning capability, we serve your comprehensive investment and financial planning needs.
IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE INFORMATION
Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. Different types of investments involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance that the future performance of any specific investment, investment strategy, or product (including the investments and/or investment strategies recommended or undertaken by Washington Wealth Advisors, LLC), or any non-investment related content, made reference to directly or indirectly in this blog will be profitable, equal any corresponding indicated historical performance level(s), be suitable for your portfolio or individual situation, or prove successful. Due to various factors, including changing market conditions and/or applicable laws, the content may no longer be reflective of current opinions or positions. Moreover, you should not assume that any discussion or information contained in this blog serves as the receipt of, or as a substitute for, personalized investment advice from Washington Wealth Advisors, LLC. To the extent that a reader has any questions regarding the applicability of any specific issue discussed above to his/her individual situation, he/she is encouraged to consult with the professional advisor of his/her choosing. Washington Wealth Advisors, LLC is neither a law firm nor a certified public accounting firm and no portion of the blog content should be construed as legal or accounting advice. A copy of the Washington Wealth Advisors, LLC’s current written disclosure statement discussing our advisory services and fees is available for review upon request. Please Note: Washington Wealth Advisors, LLC does not make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, or relevance of any information prepared by any unaffiliated third party, whether linked to Washington Wealth Advisors, LLC’s web site or incorporated herein, and takes no responsibility therefore. All such information is provided solely for convenience purposes only and all users thereof should be guided accordingly.