Build Your Cyber Security Strategy on Password Day!
By Alexandra Devereaux
These days, cyber security is a top priority for everyone. Here at WWA, client security and privacy is a top priority for all of us. We strive to educate our clients to make sure they are protected as so much of what they do is done over the internet…from online transactions to sending their tax accountants data, to asking questions about their accounts. As a Client Relationship Manager here at WWA, I work with our clients and their data daily. I wanted to share some quick advice that will help keep you all safe.
Online Security Tips
- Use a secure email tool. Your information is compromised most frequently when you email sensitive information, like account numbers, social security numbers, and credit card information, without using a secure file sharing tool. When you send data to the WWA team make sure to either use our Secure Vault or click the line below our email signatures that says, ‘Click Here to Send me Files Securely.’
- Change your passwords every 90 days. And sooner (i.e. immediately!) should you suspect someone has gotten it! You should also use a different password for each website you access. This way if one of your passwords is stolen from one site, they cannot access information across the other sites you use. Once a hacker has your password, they go hunting! And, yes, you must devise a way to manage them all.
- Always use two factor authentication. This is an added layer of security to ensure you are the only person who can access your account, even if someone has your password.
- Do not use public Wi-Fi! Hackers love public Wi-Fi! When you use it you put your personal information and more at risk.
- Keep your software up to date on ALL devices. Install your patches! They are there to combat intruders.
- Phishing. Never open an email or an attachment from an unknown source. Fraudulent emails, texts, copycat website are all created to get you to click on them and share your information.
There are just a few tips!If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me via my email: firstname.lastname@example.org. My goal is to keep you educated and safe!
About Washington Wealth Advisors
Washington Wealth Advisors is an independent registered investment advisory firm serving high net worth families and small businesses. We focus on holistic financial planning and comprehensive investment management. Leveraging our core strengths of unbiased, active investment management together with a detailed annual financial planning capability, we serve your comprehensive investment and financial planning needs.